Abdick forms adjustments

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by abdick printer, May 4, 2018.

1. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

Dear fellow printers
    I've a problem with adjusting the lower form roller. I installed an original roller with the standard diameter shown on the manual, I had to sqeeze it hard against the oscillsting roller and it bangs at the cylinder gap.I grinded the old roller by 1 mm and it doesn't reach the plate cylinder anymore.
    The problem is that the range of adjustment on the eccentric on either direction is very little-about 2mm. Unlike the upper one, which caused no problems.
    How can I fix the eccentric screw or adjust the oscillating roller? I checked the springs, they're fine.

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Dear Sir:
    Hi hope you are well
    What model is his Machine A.B.DICK ?
    Perhaps i can would help you.

3. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Chock think he has a 8810 as listed in his profile. The 8810 is loosely based on the old 360. 8810 uses a slightly larger dia form 2 15/32" vs the 360 2 3/32". Length are both the same. It's possible some parts have been swapped over the years. Or wrong rollers in press somehow. The overall pressure adjustment can be turned 180* out of parallel. This would make the roller have opposite adjustments as you try to set pressure. Like adding more will add less etc..... you'd need to 180* the shaft which is a easy fix. I'm not that well versed on the ABD 360's so hope others chime in for you.

4. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

It's 8810

5. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

Dear fellow printers
    I'm trying modify an Abdick 8810 so that I can install the lower form roller
    (1) try to increase the range of eccentric screw to get more pressure
    (2) try to move the fixed oscillator roller located at the back of the form rollers because the roller size specified in the manual is too thick to fit into the machine

6. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Can you post a picture of the eccentric adjustments on your press? Is there a eccentric adjustment on each side (operator amd non operator) of just non operator? Some use springs on the form collars. You could possibly replace a slightly longer spring to give you a little more play to fit a larger diameter form in.

7. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

Thanks for your reply
    There are eccentric adjustments on each side. There are springs on the collars. They're in good condition.
    What about the fixed oscillator roller. Could its position be adjusted somehow?

8. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

I noticed that Only when the form roller is pushed by hand that reaches the plate cylinder.
    Why would there be such a gap?

9. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Try to adjust the sleeve Bearing in the Non operator side by 005¨-010" end play.
    tight the scress and see if the form roller touch plate cylinder normally.

10. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

I can't find the sleeve bearing or the screws that you mentioned. Anyhow there is an allen screw adjustment at the sleeve on the non operator side.

11. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Attached is there, see if you can do it.

Attached Files:

12. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

I followed these directions. The form roller reaches the plate cylinder but with little pressure.
    Problem not solved,I will acquire a new roller.
    But a new roller is too thick to fit into the machine, so I will have to grind it to end up with a thin roller that doesn't reach the plate cylinder - such a vicious cycle.
    Any ideas on how to back up the collars to accommodate for the new roller?

13. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Please follow the steps from the manufacturer of Rollers
    will be very easy to adjust.

14. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

8810s use a 2.4 inch diameter lower form and a 2 inch upper form. lower form has 2 eccentric adjustments 1 on each side. Adjusting screws can be located through access holes in cover. The 2 slotted screws are lower screw is locking screw and upper is adjusting screw. The lower form adjustment on operator side is counter-clockwise to increase pressure and and on the gear side clockwise to increase. Search post by ghuerth for more info on ABDick Offset Presses

15. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

I can guarentee you I can install the lower form as long as it is a Syntac 36011 or a Lith-O-Roll AB-3602-L, or 76911 ABDick part number. Adjust pressure to plate at maximum stripe of 3/16 inch or 4.7625 mm or a minimum of 1/8 inch or 3.175 mm making sure eccentrics are turning the correct direction!

16. Teresa Hicks

Teresa Hicks New Member

Chock, does your screen shot show that you have an AB Dick 9810 Service Manual? If so, I’ve been looking everywhere for one, to no avail (not even 1 for sale). I would be willing to pay you for a pdf version of it. Also, if you have the User Manual in pdf form, that would be great too!!! Let me know. Thanks. My email is sales@graphicsource.info