Ab Dick PowerPro 34

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by piersonlitho, Mar 15, 2013.

1. piersonlitho

piersonlitho Member

Hello All,
    Just wondering of any body is currently running or has run, an abdick powerpro 34. Just looking for your input on this press. I am considering one. The price is good, not sure if it is a good decision to purchase or not.

2. astokes

astokes Member

Ive ran a ABdick century 3000 and 3500 the powerpro is the last version of the century they made, parts are expensive and hard to come by, rollers will cost you a lot of money and they are a pain to install and get the beeds correct. If I were you I would find a used ryobi 3302 and stay well away from the powerpro. I ran the 3000 for years and celebrated when we finally got a ryobi 3302H!

Only one thing I miss on the 3000 are the plate clamps which were awesome.

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I owned AB Dick Century 3500 S - not a bad press as long as its running, no support whatsoever. I am in Brooklyn NY and had spent countless hours calling all the service companies withing driveable distance, there was not a single one who would say "Yes, call me with all your needs, we're proficient on this one" so be careful, if you consider one, make sure that there is someone around who can service it for you. I am a service engineer, specialize in copier/printer service so I am, pretty much, fixing my own presses but this one was tough, lack of or cost of parts was also a problem. I loved the stream feeder and easy on the fly adjustments, dislike the noise (would get a headache after 4 hour of continuous printing, paper pick-up is rather complex but awesome if you guessed what it wants) dampening system is so-so, don't count on Kompac, they made something like 24 units total for these, I called and asked to but set of parts to assemble 2, they say that not everything is available to assemble 2 full unit(s).... Previous post says that strips are hard to adjust, yes they are especially on 2nd ink form but how often do you need to do that... Also I had a problem with 2 boards, soldering points would give up from time, heat and vibration...

4. PressTech

PressTech Member

DO NOT BUY A CENTURY!! take it from a service guy...

5. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Ditto Stay away from the century and I have the service manuals

6. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I don't know guys, I had a century 3500S and if I could get a Kompacs for it, I'd never give it up. The stream feeder, the suction belt delivery, pull guide registration - really good. That thing was flying! Yeah a little noisy, sometimes moody but generally not so bad.

7. discountprintingservice

discountprintingservice Senior Member

Alex,
    I wish I read this post before purchasing this AB Dick 3500 from you...sounds like you bought it to run in your own shop but obviously you couldn't get it to run, just wish you had been upfront with me & my wife and told us of the issues with this machine...