ab dick b/w print - ran out of patience and ideas, please help.

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by OkiTech, Mar 31, 2012.

1. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi guys. I have a AB Dick Century 3500, I understand that machine is rare but I dont think problem I am having has to do with this model only. When I print , image gets lots of little tiny white dots especially on dense areas. They are not visible on the plate but clearly evident on the blanket. Water system on this press is something similar to crestline. I have drained the chiller and put fresh solution in it using polar spring bottle as a source so no tap water issues. Ink is spinks acryllic and I used some tack reducer to make sure it does not pick the paper fibers. Another thing beyound my control - temperature in the warehouse is below 50 F but I had this issue before regardless of the temp just not to this extend. The whole page coming out looks like it sprinkled with white paint so bad that I had to quit the day. If you think you know what is the problem/ solution please let me know. I am runnig simple b/w bs job and can't make saleable. Thank in advance.

2. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

New blanket

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

It is, replaced it 2 month ago, and we ran the press 2-3 day a week only. How blanket would affect this kind of printing deffect?

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

I'd try Spinks oil base instead of the Acrylic..... to me the acrylic is much like a rubber base. Oil base lays down much nicer for me. Also what kind of stock? Same results on a different stock? I have found some of the digital copier specific papers print like **** sometimes. Go figure?

5. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Defective blanket maybe, also check your plate to blanket pressure. Some of the new digital coating they use dosnt agree with ink

6. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Also cold temps like that are not helping much either.

7. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Oh, yes - stock. it's a 20lb 11x17 paper, the "paperline" junk

8. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I have Spinks Titan - will try tomorrow.

9. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Yep the Titan should hopefully run better. It's been cold up here too so a bit of reducer can help. Paperline stock not the best but I've run it and it prints ok. Not great but for linework or books with some halftones/solids not bad. Just remember the "print" side of the stock nets best results. Good luck!

10. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

It does not specify on the ream-wrap as it does on some papers. Is there a way to determine?

11. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Print side should be "up" out of the ream unless there's a arrow showing which side is print side. You can flip the stock over as well to verify which side prints best too. I'm sure it gets mixed up sometimes too.

12. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Thank you. I am, usually, stack paper always the same way and it's wrap's joint up, means it is upside-down technically speaking.
    Guys, thanks for all the input. I am also would be interested in definition of this, like there is a name for major issues like hickeys, etc.

13. plotter

plotter Senior Member

in cold weather i always run a hairdryer over the ink in the duct and rollers for a few minutes first before inking them up, youd be suprised how much this helps

14. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi guys, I would like to thank you all for help. Most of the advices were right on the spot. I had cleaned the blanket with blanket cleaner and hot water to the extend that rag no longer was getting dirty. Beautifull print - no spots after that. Had some paper pick-up issues but that had to do with one of the pick-up feet (it uses system similar to Big foot) was stiffy. Some cleaning and press ran like a charm all afternnon. Million thanks to all of you. Roman.

15. Tim Shelton

Tim Shelton Member

Sounds like the cold temp and stiff ink was picking the surface on your sheet. I also have a 3500 also, which I have been running for 5-6 years. I'm having pretty good luck with all I have tried. Some delivery problems on the chain bars but I am working on it. Possibly we can discuss problems between the two machine if you care to.

Tim

16. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Sure Tim, gladly. You may write me unlimitedBT@yahoo.com, i can give you the phone number as well but out of public forum.

17. swifty

swifty Senior Member

I am not familiar with your press but printing is printing !I dont think spring water will help...try distilled water,and cut back on
    your fountain solution also maybe try varn aqua varnish #30

18. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Hi Roman, your interest in a definition of terminology is valued. Are you asking about the felt side and wire side of paper or the grain direction, printability, runability, best direction of grain for registration, ect.