Ab Dick 9985 plate change

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by Trey Rayford, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Trey Rayford

Trey Rayford New Member

New to the forum, hope this is the right area. I run flexos, 8820's, and a 360. Our company bought a used 9985 and we're in the middle of getting it to run. It had no manual, but we are "winging" it. Can anyone tell me how to change the plates? We jogged it around, and positioned it for "change", but now what? I see places for Allen wrenches, but that doesnt seem like the process. We moved it in place, powered it up...ran paper from feeder to outstacker. Just going slow and waiting on metal plates. I'm sure I'll be posting more quests. Thanks, ahead of time.

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Yep.....tail end of clamp (on outside of plate cyl OP side) you'll see a teardrop shaped stud with 10mm head. To loosen plate turn that upwards. This will release plate tension. Then on lead and tail top/bottom parts of the clamp you'll see 2 square flat nuts. Turn them each 180* this will release the plate inside the clamp. You can turn those either right or left... you'll see the clamp slot open/close. Once you remove the plates you'll notice U shaped grooves on the plate. The plate punch (which you should have got with the press) punches the U shape cutouts to locate them into the clamp. On each side of the top and bottom clamps you'll see a small lined plate to "zero" the clamps. Nuts inside the plate clamps are to cock/skew the plate for straightness/fitment. Nuts on top/botton of lead and tail clamps are to snug/takeup slack if need be. You'll see a notch on the face of top and bottom clamp to zero side to side. Just remember when you mount a new plate to tighten that teardrop shaped 10mm stud to tension/snug plate to the cyl. When putting a plate on I normally pull the handle so water form drops on the plate. This keeps the plate from slipping back up the plate cyl making it hard to slide tail of plate into clamp slot. Try a few practice plates you see and get the hang of it. Pretty easy once you get it.

Rvandyke likes this.
  3. Trey Rayford

Trey Rayford New Member

Greatly appreciated! They used poly plates, but we're just going to order metal, as our 8820's, and 360, use metal, and we can burn them with the equip we have. We got a plate burner with the 9985, but haven't hooked it up. Very anxious to get it running....way faster than the others.

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Glad to help. Hope things work out those are good presses. Pretty much a Ryobi 3302 with different color covers and ABD badges. Double check your form roller stripes going to metal plates. They could be a little thicker. Form adjustment are eccentric on OP and NOP sides. Overall on/off on the OP side inside knob. Flat head screwdriver to add/decrease small allen lock screw. Much like other small offsets. Also check plate to blanket. On OP side below hand controls you;ll see 2 small rectangle windows. That's where you add/decrease. Again with a flat head screwdriver there. Good luck!

Rvandyke likes this.