A bit of fun-Mythbusting.

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by William Taylor, Aug 24, 2012.

1. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

I once had a part time job operating a 5/c GTO with a stream feeder. On my first day, I came in to take over a job that their full time operator had been working on that day. It was a full size sheet, 80# book, 60M sheets. He had static tinsel across the top of the pile, wet rags underneath it , and a can of anti-static spray next to the press that he was using as well. He was printing at about 7,000 an hour, and struggling to keep the press running. He told me all of the things that he'd been doing and what I would need to do to continue the job, wished me good luck, and then left for the day.

The first thing I did was take all of the stuff mentioned above that he'd been using, off of the press, I set up the feeder a little bit differently, and finished the job at full speed without any more issues.

Mythbusting, not creating

2. Biggs

Biggs Senior Member

That's correct, the tinsel (first off cant be tinsel from a local holiday store, and...) must be grounded. Think about the electrons present in your static filled sheets, the ungrounded tinsel is more than happy to accept the electrons from the first several sheets that leave the press, but once it's at capacity, with no way to discharge itself, it's no longer useful.

And to bust the busted myths, urinating in the ink, and on or around most print equipment, usually fixes most problems. Adjust your diet and stay hydrated based on the issue at hand. Fact.

Always ask before offering problem solving urine to print workers.