9810 Table Height

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Fear250r, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Fear250r

Fear250r Member

Is there a particular reason why the table on my 9810 rises so high??

Trying to run envelopes and the damn thing goes so high it won't pick up the envelope! My 360 seems to have better control. It (the 360) does have some odd piece with a spring that seems to control the height of the table by applying pressure to the arm. I'm assuming the high/low knob on the 9810 is supposed to be somewhat like that but it's not helping either way I have it turned...any ideas? Because I'm out and frustrated...thanks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. plotter

plotter Senior Member

anticlockwise for thin paper, it comes up in small steps and clockwise for heavier card.

3. Fear250r

Fear250r Member

I figured that as much plotter, but the problem is the table raising too high. Even on the lowest setting, the table comes up too high.

4. plotter

plotter Senior Member

well the only thing i suggest is to take the cover off the operators side, look at where the table height slider is and see if its loose on the connecting bar. The tables on the ab dicks as far as im aware do come up constantly until they hit a micro switch, unless you flip the button to stop it rising. when printing envelopes i use a small piece of wood under the envelopes to keep them level, otherwise because of the slant they will go above the fingers. also only put about 70 ish in at a time. sorry i cant be any more help

5. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

env have alot of air in them so your table will raise alot higher than you want! I run my feed height manually when needed otherwise hook up my env feeder

6. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

One reason may be that your envelopes come up so high is that there is a lot of air in the envelopes making them spring up and down, after pressing down on them allowing the back to come up and bind against the guides. (a) build up the platform under the suction feet so that the envelope under the suction foot is high enough to feed and the tail is low enough to clear the paper guides. Build a platform with chip board, width the size the envelope and half the length, fan it so that you have a gentle slope and wrap with tape. On the paper cutter trim so that you have an approx 2 inch flat platform that will be under the suction feet then a sloping ramp towards the tail. (b) Looking to the left of the height regulators is a long link that attaches to the lever operating link for the height regulator. Installing a polyethelene return spring (rubber band) on that link closest to you and there is a stop plate that the paper weight bar rest on, wrap it around that puts pressure on the link making the height regulator more sensitive to the envelope without squishing all the air out and coming up to high. Try different tensions to get the one that works best.

7. Fear250r

Fear250r Member

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I'm fully aware of envelopes having air in them. I've got boards upon boards for all my different envelopes. I've just never had such a hard time running them on my 360 as I am this 9810. The 360 you basically throw 'em in and run them. Naturally you get the nasty box and you've got to cut down on the amount you throw in but for the most part, it's always been fairly easy.

Needless to say, I left the a-2's to run some Lee's before I blew my stack. Still having issues....So, I ended up running them backwards. Seemed to be the only way to get the things to feed. And even then, I had to really watch what was going on and where they were, having to shut the table off and then pop it back on, then crank up the table a bit...whatever it took to finish them off.

ghuerth - what you're referring to sounds similar to a doo hickey of the sorts that's on my 360. I'll have to snap a pic of it. It's basically a nut and bolt going through the frame with a poly bushing and has a spring attached to it. You can move it to put more or less tension on that arm I believe you're referring to.

I'll get back into this week, depending on when the clean up from this storm is over....

thanks again

Jesse

8. Fear250r

Fear250r Member

Well, I've managed to finish off the envelopes...took some time but they're actually done.

I do believe I've spotted a problem though...the feeler fingers seem to be coming down WAY to early. It seems like the paper/envelope is hitting them and bouncing off them half the time. After feeding an envelope through the 360, it's obvious that the fingers are coming down much earlier on the 9810. Any ideas? I believe this has a lot to do with my feeding issues.

9. Tim Shelton

Tim Shelton Member

If your problem continues try taking off the chrome plate where the separator fingers operate. Try cleaning and oiling the tracks the fingers operate in. After 25 years you can build up a lot of crud in that area. It helps if they smoothly go up and down. They are a little tricky to put back into place and screw back down. It helps to have a second set of hands. I cleaned my once and it really seemed to help.

10. Fear250r

Fear250r Member

I've give it a cleaning but I don't think it's dirty to the point that it's causing a problem.

I think the problem is the feeler fingers are coming down too early.

11. rapidbakedlogic

rapidbakedlogic New Member

hey Fear, take off operator side cover and observe gear, latch, latch glide, spring and travel bar(s) table height section. Sometimes the screw holding the latch glide to the frame loosens so the latch won't catch the gear properly and consistently. The travel bars are your pile height detector adjustment - loosen and adjust. Envelopes, in my experience, 1/2 a box at a time w/heavy bar, back guide normal, max. pile height, less blast(6 turns out) and enough speed to balance envelope expansion and pile rise. Be sure to clean and lube. LMK