524 HE Error code E-944

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by pixeltim, Aug 22, 2016.

1. pixeltim

pixeltim Member

Last unit won't set the plate and gives code E-944. Does anyone know what that code means?

2. jef

jef Member

it could be the tail edge inserting device is dirty. remove and clean it, then grease.

3. pixeltim

pixeltim Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try that as soon as I get in tomorrow morning.

4. pixeltim

pixeltim Member

Cleaned everything and reassembled, now the sensor for the red bar is always on and so I can't run the press at all. Took the switch apart, it's fine. Frustration.

5. jef

jef Member

what sensor? im on a Ryobi 3304HA. If you open up the side cover operator side is there 2 red lights on the solonoids on lights?

6. pixeltim

pixeltim Member

Well, I thought I cleaned everything but clearly I was mistaken. I think I need to locate all of the linkages and disassemble and clean those too. What is happening is that it goes through the entire plate loading cycle except for the very last action where it tensions the plate. If I put slight downward pressure on the blade after it clamps the plate, that gives it enough extra pull to open it up in time for the last pneumatic to trigger and tension the plate. It seems to have just enough drag to slow it down to keep it from cycling.

7. jef

jef Member

if you open the side cover, the solenoid with the red light, tail edge of plate clamp, behindit you can push it in and out. Ive had to lubricate it on the inside of the press. with penetrating oil.

8. pixeltim

pixeltim Member

Thx, I'll give that a try, for now I used an ancient trick that worked on an old Multi 1250 I ran a lifetime ago... I added tension to the air solenoid with a rubber band zip-tied between the cylinder and the hunting shaft below it. It works perfectly now.
    Unlike the old Multi, I expect this to be a very short term fix that will be corrected properly after we get past the huge workload we have right now.

9. jef

jef Member

great! goodluck.

10. ryobiTech

ryobiTech Member

Follow the air pipes from the piston and you will find small white taps inside the ops cover, Open the relevent tap a small bit and it will increase air pressure to that piston. This is a regular thing when the seals in the pistons start to wear and leak a bit.

11. pixeltim

pixeltim Member

Thanks!

That worked perfectly!