3304 big piece of garbage?

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by tim enigma, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

Hi my name is tim from phoenix. i reciently started running a 3304ha, and was wondering if people have as much trouble running this press as i am? I have never worked on a press this bad. It seems the guy who used to run it split, the guy who replaced him destroyed the water unit motors in unit 3 and 4 and split. now i am trying to pick up the pieces but am afraid i to am ready to bail. i set unit 3 and 4 water rollers exactly as i was shown, but they both wash out and scum up at the same time. this is the first time i am using this water system. i cant even get 500 sheets off with out problems. what fountain solutions is everyone running. that was a secret the original guy ran off with and we are just guessing now. do they make a crestline unit for these presses? any help or info would be greatly appreciated. sorry i didnt do a proper intro and just jumped right in, but i am at my wits end. i sure miss my heidelberg.
    tim

2. hondarr9

hondarr9 Member

We use Nikken Mark III Fountain Solution. 2oz per gallon. Are you running poly plates or metal? Do you have a chiller? How did they destroy the water unit motors??? If the pressures are set correctly it should run fine. They can be a little tricky but you should be able to print well for the most part. I believe you can get Crestlines but will be big $$$

3. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

hey thanks hondarr9. it seems that the guy was washing up but did not release the water rollers while he engaged the rollers to wash up the water unit. i guess it tries to drive the water rollers the oppisite way and thats how they burned out. ever since replacing the water motors those two units have not worked right since. we were using nikken but no one at the shop knew how to mix it. but the shop has since switched to this red pro 3 crap and i dont like it. seems to make the problems worse. yes we do have a chiller and we run both metal and poly plates. it seems like i have to adjust the water rollers in these two units at least once every two weeks. is this normal for this set up. units 1 and 2 give me no problems at all. thanks again
    tim

4. hondarr9

hondarr9 Member

Yeah, They really do need constant adjustment at least that often. The metering rollers that is. Did some one show you how to do that? (flooding it out then 10 clicks I think it is) It doesn't really take too long. Crestlines would be nice, set it and forget it.

5. wsp

wsp Member

I tend to fight my dampeners alot lately but thats because the powers that be wont let me replace the old metering rollers,
    if you can get the pressures even from the metering roller to the chrome roller and even the water film out on the metering roller you should be able to run most things okay and just increase or decrese the water speed to adress the toning

6. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

these rollers are supposedy only about 8 mos. old. i went through both units with a fine tooth comb, adjusted every thing exactly and still no better. do you guys have any problem with your water units where the rollers just stop turning? this also happens a lot in these two units. they will sort of jerk a few times and then just stop. sometimes lifting a gate will re start them, sometimes i have to shut the press off and turn back on to restart them. im just about ready to give up and quit. Thanks for your imput guys.
    tim

7. printergreg

printergreg New Member

yea this press is VERY finikey have had all the same problems wsp helped me with dampener setting.good luck.this press made me feel like I wanted to shoot myself

8. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

thanks for all your input, but my problems are now resolved. they fired me today. problem solved. maybe the 4th pressman this year can figure out their **** equipment.

9. hondarr9

hondarr9 Member

Wow! Sorry to hear that. What was their reason for firing you?

10. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

the manager of the shop is leaving, his replacement does not know the first thing about printing, and they basically told me that they needed someone who wouldnt be a problem and who did not need to have his hand held the whole time. this is from a shop where besides me the only other person who has any press experience was the manager who ran a press for 1 year in high school. that and i told one of the owners to f!@# off about a month ago. i was getting yelled at for running 50 sheets over on a job. i have been printing for 18 years and have only worked at 2 shops that entire time and im the problem. what ever. this was no career shop anyways. just a job till something better came along.