2005 cd 74 roller chillers

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by jmt, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jmt

jmt Senior Member

the techno trans unit is not sending power to the valve to allow it to chill the fluid for are rollers.we are waiting for hiedi for some tech support.My ? is i want to still run the press .have run presses without chillers so shouldn't be a prob.should i just turn off the roller chillers or keep them on .It seem to run warmer with it still running.and also is the any chance of damaging the press if i do so.

2. Steve Arndt

Steve Arndt Member

jmt,

I am a little unclear on what you mean by "sending power to the valve to allow it to chill the fluid". Are you talking about the temperature regulation valve inside the beta.c? If so, that can be manually positioned to allow continued operation while waiting for repairs. To do that, simply unplug the electrical connection on the valve motor and move the handle to the 50% position. This will typically allow you to continue normal operation. If the water return temperature begins to rise, move the handle to 60%. If the return temperature goes too low, move the handle to 40%. Continue to do this until you reach a relatively steady temperature for your operating conditions.

Do you know what specific model of beta.c you have? While researching that, it would also be helpful to know if the unit was manufactured in Germany or in the US (this can be found on the tag inside the door). There are a few specific differences between the two that will influence the troubleshooting steps.

If you need immediate assistance, you can also call the Technotrans hotline at 866-887-3228. They will ask for the serial number of the cabinet, so you may want to have that ready when you call.

To answer your question... yes, you can run the press, but you may need to operate at a lower speed to prevent heat build-up. As long as you have water circulating through the rollers, you can do this indefinitely. If you don't have water circulating, you can still run for a limited period of time... but I would do this at a lower press speed to prevent damage to the rotary unions (the water connections on the rollers themselves).

I hope this helps.

Steve

3. jmt

jmt Senior Member

the valve i mean is the one that sends refrigerant to the heat exchanger to cool the fluid for the rollers.on the techno unit i can see it trying to open the valve but when i test the leads to the valve no power is going to the servo to open the valve.i have looked at the valve and can see no manual way of open or closing it.

4. Steve Arndt

Steve Arndt Member

jmt,

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, so please forgive my additional questions...

- What kind of "techno unit" do you have? alpha.c? beta.c? something else?
    - Was the unit made in the US or in Germany? - significant differences between the two
    - Are there any error messages on the operating screen?
    - Is there a label on the "servo" or the valve you mention above?

The reason I ask is because how the cooling was accomplished and what method of control is used is different between the different models. This information will be on the manufacturer's tag on the unit.

The problems associated with the chilling units are often simple to fix... I just have to be clear about what we are talking about so that I don't have you needlessly chasing your tail.

Let me know and we will find a solution together.

Steve