2002 SM74 Ink Blocks & Ink Key

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by swilson513, Dec 28, 2010.

1. swilson513

swilson513 Member

We are having a lot of ink getting by one of the ink blocks, is this generally caused because the block is just worn?

Also we have one ink key that will not shut off, I have changed the motor out and the screw that drives the key seems to be good and free. One thing I did notice with the motor out and the screw turned all the way in we still had movment in the ink key. I'm thinking that however the screw is attached to the key is messed up. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

You'll have to reset that ink zone. What type of motor you have in the ink fountain? Is it the one with the integrated potentiometer?

3. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

have you tried replacing the strip that goes under your cheek? aka "ink block" if not you might want to. ive found that when putting the cheeks in (after a light coating of grease on the contact surface) i use a good amount of pressure to push the cheek against the ink ball. I then tighten up on the front of the cheek setscrew first and then tighten up on the rear. This tightening up of the setscrews doesnt require all that much pressure. And last but not least it isnt a bad idea to mark the location of each cheeks respective unit. Once a wear pattern is established i like to keep them in the same place.

4. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

We recently replaced these blocks with the one made by our die maker, we used a taflon sheet for this purpose and those blocks are working perfectly...:cool:

5. swilson513

swilson513 Member

The number on the motor is 61.186.5311/03. I did take the motor out and run the ink key and councel wide open and then closed to reset it but still have the problem. Even with the key closed manually I still have some movement in the key its self I think that is wehre the problem is just not sure where to look from here.

6. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

At diode position 2.01, the distance between
    ink flow adjuster and ink fountain roller should be 0.03 mm.
    Use a 0.03mm steel tape to check the distance.Check-up of the ink flow adjusters should be
    done without ink fountain liner and protective
    foil.

7. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

The easiest way to set the ink keys is use a good ink key as a reference. to do this remove the servo motor in question and the one next to it. Make sure that both zones are set to zero position. After each motor is removed also remove white plastic gear that servo attaches to inside fountain. Use a screwdriver to check the good zone, turning it clockwise until it bottoms out. Sould be about 3/4 of a turn. Now move the key in question same ammout as the known good key, again about 3/4 of a turn. Go back to consol and move both keys to full open and then full closed before reinstalling. This will ensure that both keys are in proper position electrically before mounting. This should solve any problems you have.

8. swilson513

swilson513 Member

Ended up being that the lock clip was missing on the bolt that runs the ink key and was allowing movement in the key.