£2000 + Hamada CD480...

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ubrbilly, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ubrbilly

ubrbilly Member

I have £2000 + Hamada CD480 as a budget for a new press, Ideally i am looking for a two colour press, preferably a Heidelberg.

So...What do you think i could get?

oh, i have been offered £1800 for the Hamada

2. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

Unfortunatly I don't believe you will get too much for £2000. You could look for another Hamada.

3. rossio

rossio Senior Member

4. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

5. ubrbilly

ubrbilly Member

I cant believe this! i have just spent 1800 on a Quickmaster 46 2 Colour, My engineer is suppose to collect it from London today at 3am! The one on ebay is the printmaster version too!!! :(

Billy

6. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

ohhh, thats sods law that ain it, good luck with your new press anyway, just out of intrest whose your engineer if you dont mind me asking

7. ubrbilly

ubrbilly Member

i call him "The Bob" from Leeds, his company is called ibbestos i think, cant say unless i luck at the invoices, i really wanted a printmaster too, How much do you think that CTP on ebay is worth? i might just make an offer for that, am currently using films to plate

8. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

billy, that DPX i think maybe polyester but dont quote me on that. If it has the rip with it i think you should offer 750 quid. but if it is polyester ide just stick with doing it from film onto ali plates. ju out o intrest what type of work are you doing?

9. ubrbilly

ubrbilly Member

Yes it's a polyester one, am just thinking if I could save cost on films etc, it has a 7.1 level rip, just read a review on printweek, its a good piece of kit, I do alot of stationary, all spot work, & full colour I outsource it out

10. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

well if your doing spot stationary work with what i assume ls small sheet counts per jo polyester ight not be such a problem for you

11. Chris from Printshop

Chris from Printshop Senior Member

I've used poly plates on various presses and they're better than you'd think. You have to be careful not to stretch them and they tend to run a bit wetter bit I've got runs of 25-30k off them on a printmaster and off a GTO. They give surprisingly good halftones too. I tend to go for 150lpi - 175 lpi and they are as crisp as film&posi plates in that respect, if not better, after all; 1st generation copy is on the blanket rather than the plate. They can't do everything and the machines aren't without their own problems but they are a bit like having another employee who will make plates for you right through the night so they are all ready and waiting in the morning.

I used to work at a place with 3 presses running flat-out all day long (2x 2c and a single colour) and the platemaker was so underworked that they now use it to make plates for 2 other local printers as well. It's still only running at about 50% of it's capacity and if a plates gets damaged or wear out, they just send the file again and make another, which comes out pre-punched and ready to go. They all-but drop on to the target marks too.

All I'd say is that poly platesetters aren't the nightmare a lot of people think they are. Do some investigating and you might be surprised. i know aluminum is better but it's expensive, slow and, on most jobs there really is no reason what a poly-plate couldn't produce as good a result.