13" Fine Art Printers

Discussion in 'Small Format Inkjet Printers' started by MarkW, Dec 13, 2009.

1. MarkW

MarkW New Member

I've had an Epson R2400 for several years and am very pleased with the print quality, but not very happy with paper feeding. I use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag almost exclusively, and the printer has run through a total of 200 to 300 sheets (8.5 by 11 to 13 by 19).

Sometime ago, feeding paper became a very labor-intensive process, requiring a lot of manual intervention. At this point, it will not feed the paper at all. Every sheet either sits untouched in the paper feeder, or is grabbed by the printer and immediately ejected as a blank sheet. I've read enough posts on various sites to recognize that this is a very common problem with this printer.

I'm very frustrated and considering buying another printer, perhaps a Canon Pixma Pro9000 or 9500.

So my questions, which I hope someone can answer: Are problems like this just the nature of the beast, or are other printers better than this one for paper handling? Should I regard a multi-hundred dollar printer as a "throwaway" which is good for a few hundred prints and then needs to be replaced (i.e. an additional cost of about 2 dollars per print for the printer itself)? The Canon printers seem to be highly regarded in terms of print quality, but will I end up with the same (or some other) issue a few years from now? Are there others that I should be looking at?

Thank you very much for your help,
    Mark