Hamada 665cd.

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by graphiccenter, Jul 22, 2012.

1. graphiccenter

graphiccenter Member

The pin on the blanket cylinder keeps snapping. it's the pin that locks the cylinder to the shaft which controls the cam on the operator side. I put in new pins and also added another pin to relieve stress on the one. Any suggestions? I also notice that the machine is a lot louder..

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Anyway you can post a picture? Cell phone pic even. I remember those having a threaded type of pin there. Not a solid taper pin or roll pin. The timing cam is held on to the end of the shaft by a bolt. Sounds like you hava few non original part fixes in there maybe? I have a newer Hamada at the shop I'll look at tomorrow. Might have the same type as many parts were carried over for years. It's a press we sold but is still here until the new owner can get it moved.

3. graphiccenter

graphiccenter Member

Its the pin on the bracket that holds the blanket.

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Here's a pic of a 665 blanket cyl. Not many people have them at the house but I do for some strange reason. ;)

Anyway.... the larger hole to the far right is threaded and where the threaded screw pin goes to hold the cyl to the shaft. You can see the smaller pilot hole underneath the pin head fits in. The 4 other smaller holes are for the plate the blanket clips screw into. And the blanket bolts themselves. If the larger pin area is not threaded and just has a steel taper pin that's the problem. The solid taper pin will be under constant pressure and crack after time. As it's not 100% secure and can have some play/travel in it. You need the threaded area of the factory pin to hold the cyl to the shaft and assist the bearings. You really need to repair the threaded hole in the cyl (use a timesert) and get the correct threaded pin for it to work as designed. Adding a second pin won't help much. If this isn't the problem please explain further............ The press being louder is a concern as the cyl and shaft have eccessive play in them and can start to wear the gears possibly. Not good. If your good you can do the repair with the cyl in the machine. A timesert is a threaded steel collar and a press in fit with some locktight. Get the same size metric thread as the factory bolt. The bolt pin might be a Hamada only part but you should be able to get a couple with 1 for a spare. You drill the exsisting hole in there now to the correct diameter for the timesert. Keep a fairly tight press in fit and some red locktight on the ouside before you press it in. A sharp fine punch to "spike" a few spots around it to help hold in place secure. Short of removing the cyl and doing a weld, drill and retap repair this might be your best option. But do it right or you'll screw yourself further.

Attached Files: