Best laser printer for regularly printing hundreds of greeting cards?

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by PocketTed, Oct 8, 2009.

1. PocketTed

PocketTed New Member

I am looking to start a small business which would entail printing hundreds or even thousands of greetings cards (including photos) per week. Can anyone recommend a good printer which is fast, reliable and economical?

I have been encouraged to look at laser printers as they are more economical in the long run, but I need one which will print good quality photos and not have glitches when printing to greeting cards.

(I am based in Scotland, UK)

2. plotter

plotter Senior Member

if your printing hundreds, or thousands a week, then laser is the way, but either a full colour copier/printer where you pay a click per print, or farm it out and let someone else do it, would be the way to go. Laser printers are often more economical than inkjets, but toners are expensive when it comes around to buying them, and non oem ones usually mean cheaper, not as good quality. example, i was looking at a xerox 7400(until i saw the price of consumables) look them up youll be shocked..

3. PocketTed

PocketTed New Member

Thanks for your reply plotter.

Sourcing it out strikes me as the more attractive/risk free option at the moment having visited a local digital printers today. The click per print, possible maintenance issues, possible long term contract, cutting each card out etc. that comes with leasing a printer sounds a bit daunting in the early stages of starting a business.

Perhaps a few years down the line when the actual volume of prints are apparent would be a safer time to invest in one of these machines.

4. tonygreg

tonygreg Member

Out source it

In my true suggestion you should out source it towards some professional printing company because in printing there are a lot of things which requires lot of care.

5. plotter

plotter Senior Member

Thats what i said

6. PocketTed

PocketTed New Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    I'm now just waiting for some estimates from printers to see if there's any profit to be made!