Strange Hairline Deletion Artifact

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by CargoPantsMan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. CargoPantsMan

CargoPantsMan Senior Member

Here's a puzzle I'd like to share.

Getting a hairline white line in the cross-process direction. Doesn't seem to affect cyan, just all the other colors dropping out.

It's always in the same position on the sheet, 11.625" from lead edge.

It is not frequent, but seems to pop up 1:~80 sheets.

Swapped charge stations and rebuilt two of them thinking I was onto something, but kind of thinking not now.

Pic through loupe attached.

Attached Files:

2. CargoPantsMan

Hmm, looking at this onscreen it may be the black charge causing issues. I need to take zoomed in photos of the loupe more often.

3. mbusko

mbusko Member

Try looking real close at the TAB blade for little nylon fibers that maybe coming in contact with the PR belt. I have also had success with unseating the PR belt sliding it off halfway and then reseating it. Most times the white lines disappear. I usually have this problem with a new belt.

4. peels

peels tree killer :)

that! ^^^

also, cargo... look at the magnets below the cleaner, on the right of belt. the electrical tape that protects them can get brittle, and then crack and fray. the frayed ends can build up toner and junk. and start to drag the paper. it will get close, leaving deletions, followed by dark smudges.

also look for anything hanging off between the charge stations.

and check the ROS lenses for fuzzballs.

check it with a flashlight, then just wipe across it with a rag. or your hand. I clean those every time open the belt.

5. Newsman

Newsman Member

This

6. CargoPantsMan

Well, not sure if I have this fixed-fixed or if I just haven't seen it yet, but the last major action I took was to...

Power down the DFE completely...

"try turning it off, then back on" -peels

7. Milo Wilson

Milo Wilson Senior Member

I've seen a broken 8 wire mod leave a wire hanging in front of a ros before cause that.

8. Dukester

Dukester New Member

Had this....Check closely all around the bulb area as a fiber could be blocking and shadowing the lamp....

9. CargoPantsMan

So after a month of having this come and go, showed a tech on an unrelated matter. Swapped the controller boards for the ROS's, swapped ROS's, and eventually swapped the CRIMs and the deletion moved. (Let me tell you, there was a big stack of paper when all was said and done trying to track this thing).

Turns out my black CRIM was just kinda sorta malfunctioning.